Neil Gaiman‘s seminal comic book series The Sandman is making its way to Netfix. It’s an all-star cast, most of whom already have impressive geek cred – and all of whom will have impressive geek cred once Sandman releases.
Here’s the cast breakdown:
- The role of Death will be played by Kirby Howell-Baptiste, known for her roles as Nicole Malloy in Veronica Mars, Grace in Infinity Train, Simone Garnett in The Good Place, Elena Felton in Killing Eve, and the voice of Cobra in Big Hero Six: The Series. She will play Anita Darling (Perdita’s human) in Disney’s upcoming Cruella.
- Mason Alexander Park plays Desire. Park was Gren in the live-action Cowboy Bebop. Park played Hedwig on the first Broadway national tour of Hedwig and the Angry Inch. They were Toby Peterson in iCarly.
- Donna Preston plays Despair. She was in Fantastic Beasts 2: The Crimes of Grindelwald, Nurses Who Kill, and The Hitman’s Bodyguard.
- David Thewlis (Remus Lupin in the Harry Potter franchise, Sir Patrick in Wonder Woman) will portray John Dee. This is not the Elizabethan mage, but a modern supervillain with the same name.
- Lebanese actress Razane Jammal plays Lyta Hall. She was Maggie Mckillop in Paranormal, Carrie in A Walk Among the Tombstones, and Salama in Djinn.
- Joely Richardson (the daughter of actress Vanessa Redgrave and director Tony Richardson, granddaughter of Sir Michael Redgrave) played Anita in the 1996 live action 101 Dalmatians; Queen Tatania in Vampire Academy; Glinda in 2017 Emerald City tv series; female lead in The Color Out Of Space  with Nicolas Cage. She will be playing the adult Ethel Cripps.
- Petite Niamh Walsh, only 5’2″, will be playing young Ethel Cripps. She was Greta Kleinschmidt in Neil Gaiman and Sir Terry Pratchett‘s Good Omens. She was young Maggie Kendall in Jekyll and Hyde.
- Patton Oswalt (who played Eric and Billy Koenig in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.) will be voicing the part of Matthew the Raven. He voiced Remy in Disney’s Ratatouille, Quibble Pants in My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, and the Atom in Teen Titans Go! He was Penn Epner in Veronica Mars and Lord Pyrantin in The Spine of Night.
- Kyo Ra plays Rose Walker in Sandman. It is her first major role.
- Sandra James-Young appeared in the comedy Au Wiedersehn, Pet as Chrissie, and has appeared in several British soap operas: EastEnders, Doctors, Emmerdale Farm, and Coronation Street. Her only previous Geek Cred is as Diane in His Dark Materials. She will be Unity Kincaid in The Sandman.
- Stephen Fry (Dr. Gordon Wyatt in Bones, the Master of Laketown in The Hobbit trilogy) will be Gilbert in The Sandman. He is well-known for his voicework: Sir Simon de Canterville in the most recent remake of The Canterville Ghost, the narrator in the movie version of Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, the narrator in Pocoyo, and Colonel K in Danger Mouse. He played attorney Peter Kingdom in Kingdom and Sherlock’s older, cleverer brother Mycroft Holmes in Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows starring Robert Downey, Jr. He co-starred with Rupert Grint (later Ron Weasley in all 8 Harry Potter movies) in Thunderpants as Sir Anthony Silk. Like most English actors of his stature, he has appeared on Dr. Who. He was the Minister of Chance with the Seventh Doctor in “Dr. Who: Death Comes to Time” and C in “Spyfall” with the Thirteenth Doctor.
- Jenna Coleman plays Johanna Constantine, an ancestress of supernatural detective John Constantine. Coleman is best known as Clara Oswald, the least popular Companion in Doctor Who‘s nearly six decades of television. She was Connie in Captain America: The First Avenger and Queen Victoria in Victoria. She was a regular on Emmerdale Farm as Jasmine Thomas.
- Gwendoline Christie (Captain Phasma in Star Wars VII and VII, Brienne of Tarth in Game of Thrones) will be Lucifer.
- Sanjeev Bhaskar will be Cain. He played Colonel Ahmed in the Dr. Who episode “Death in Heaven” with the Twelfth Doctor. He voiced Shankar in Thomas the Tank Engine & Friends. He appeared in Good Omens as Giles Baddicombe.
- Asim Chaundry plays Abel. He created and starred in People Just Do Nothing. He appeared in Wonder Woman 1984 and Paddington.
- Tom Sturridge plays Dream. He was Hob in FairyTale: A True Story and Tom Gulliver in Gulliver’s Travels, as well as Carl in Pirate Radio.
- Boyd Holbrook will be the Corinthian. He was Pierce in Logan, Quinn McKenna in The Predator, and Miracle Guy in We Can Be Heroes.
- Charles Dance, OBE, (Alan Jonah in Godzilla: King of the Monsters, Tywin Lannister in Game of Thrones, Dr. Jonathan Clemens in Aliens 3) will portray Roderick Burgess.
- Vivienne Acheampong will play Lucienne. She was Grace Kenu in The One, Alice’s mother in the remake of Roald Dahl‘s The Witches, and Sandrine Lamore in Death in Paradise.
- John Cameron Mitchell will also be appearing in an undisclosed role. Mitchell was Egon in Mozart in the Jungle. He stars as Joe in Joe Exotic. He was Albert the reporter in The Dreamer of Oz.
This is one of the most powerful and capable casts ever to grace a comicbook based production. In the vernacular:
“Ooooh. This is gonna be good.”
Neil Gaiman made the first announcement on casting for The Sandman in January of this year. It’s also scheduled for release on Netflix this year, but so far no release date has been made available. The production is being hailed as the single most expensive production Netflix has ever produced, which will put it in some pretty rarified air.
Susan Macdonald is the author of the children’s book “R is for Renaissance Faire”, as well as short stories in “Alternative Truths”, “Swords and Sorceress #30”, “Supernatural Colorado”, “Barbarian Crowns”, “Cat Tails””Under Western Stars”, and “Knee-High Drummond and the Durango Kid”. Her articles have appeared on SCIFI.radio’s web site, in The Inquisitr, and in The Millington Star. She enjoys Renaissance Faires (see book above), science fiction conventions, Highland Games, and Native American pow-wows.