[krvod url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJi4RyV-H90]Machine Stopped Working is a short sci-fi film created for the Sci-Fi London 48 Hour Film Challenge by Bubblegum and Batwings. Filmed and completed in just 48 hours, Machine Stopped Working is set in a futuristic, industrial wasteland where humans have found a robot capable of healing others.
Bubblegum and Batwings are Anthony Melton and Ben Franklin (no, not that Ben Franklin) of Bloody Cuts, a grindhouse style movie production company based in the U.K. They had last entered the Sci-Fi London 48 Hour Film Challenge in 2011, and that competition had been the inspiration for them to form their production company.
The challenge is to make a sci-fi film, not over five minutes in length, utilizing three assets: a title, a prop and a line of dialogue. Each team has only 48 hours to go from principal photography to final cut.
It was shot on location at ‘Sibelco’ a Belgian mineral and metal extraction company, who graciously let them run around their sand quarry based in Leziate, Norfolk with a giant robot and an arsenal of stage prop automatic weapons over the weekend. The robot itself was borrowed from Millenium FX, and a great many of the props came from The Prop Store of London, who provided a small truckload of guns, costumes, and a prop that had originally been used on the set of Prometheus.
This team of filmmakers has captured lightning in a bottle.
– 30 –
- Tom Sawyer – Watts
- Kate Braithwaite – Seeva
- Dominic Kinnaird – Cale
- Paul Jibson – Kurtz
- Richard Garaghty – The Robot
- Jonny Franklin – Director Of Photography
- Joel Morgan – Writer
- Patrick Jonsson – Composer
- Rory Harper – 1st AD
- James Hills- 1st AC
- Chris Goodman – Art Director
- Kate Walshe – Producer / SFX Supervisor
- Charlotte Barrett – Costume
- Christabel Franklin – Makeup
- Laura Grey – Makeup Assistant
- Melissa Franklin – Production Assistant
- Laurentiu Maria – Lighting
- Ryan Thompson, DAN Symons – VFX Artists
- Harvey Walton – Sound Recordist
- Mark Mountford – DIT
- Roy Franklin, Paul Barrett – Electricians
- Sharon Barrett, Caroline Franklin – Hospitality
- Catherine Harvey, Lucy Lee – Runners
- Emilia Barrett – BTS Stills
SCIFI.radio is listener supported sci-fi geek culture radio, and operates almost exclusively via the generous contributions of our fans via our Patreon campaign. If you like, you can also use our tip jar and send us a little something to help support the many fine creatives that make this station possible.