Bubblegum and Batwings are Anthony Melton and Ben Franklin (no, not that Ben Franklin) of Bloody Cuts, a grindhouse style movie production company based in the U.K. They had last entered the Sci-Fi London 48 Hour Film Challenge in 2011, and that competition had been the inspiration for them to form their production company.
The challenge is to make a sci-fi film, not over five minutes in length, utilizing three assets: a title, a prop and a line of dialogue. Each team has only 48 hours to go from principal photography to final cut.
It was shot on location at ‘Sibelco’ a Belgian mineral and metal extraction company, who graciously let them run around their sand quarry based in Leziate, Norfolk with a giant robot and an arsenal of stage prop automatic weapons over the weekend. The robot itself was borrowed from Millenium FX, and a great many of the props came from The Prop Store of London, who provided a small truckload of guns, costumes, and a prop that had originally been used on the set of Prometheus.
This team of filmmakers has captured lightning in a bottle.
– 30 –
- Tom Sawyer – Watts
- Kate Braithwaite – Seeva
- Dominic Kinnaird – Cale
- Paul Jibson – Kurtz
- Richard Garaghty – The Robot
- Jonny Franklin – Director Of Photography
- Joel Morgan – Writer
- Patrick Jonsson – Composer
- Rory Harper – 1st AD
- James Hills- 1st AC
- Chris Goodman – Art Director
- Kate Walshe – Producer / SFX Supervisor
- Charlotte Barrett – Costume
- Christabel Franklin – Makeup
- Laura Grey – Makeup Assistant
- Melissa Franklin – Production Assistant
- Laurentiu Maria – Lighting
- Ryan Thompson, DAN Symons – VFX Artists
- Harvey Walton – Sound Recordist
- Mark Mountford – DIT
- Roy Franklin, Paul Barrett – Electricians
- Sharon Barrett, Caroline Franklin – Hospitality
- Catherine Harvey, Lucy Lee – Runners
- Emilia Barrett – BTS Stills