It’s here. The Avengers: Infinity War trailer is finally here.
After months of anticipation since The Avengers: Infinity War trailer premiered exclusively for the San Diego Comic Con panel attendees, the whole world can feast their eyes on the trailer for the biggest Marvel movie ever. I’ll shut up now so you can behold the trailer in all its glory.
Wasn’t that simply amazing? Incredible? Mighty even? As you can see, every single world and hero from the Marvel Cinematic Universe are uniting to stop the evil Thanos from collecting the Infinity Stones on his Infinity Gauntlet. Not only that, but most of the heroes seem to be broken and lost in some form or another.
As I said, the cast is huge. It stars Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man, Chris Evans as fugitive Steve Rogers, Mark Ruffalo as the Hulk, Benedict Cumberbatch as Doctor Strange, Benedict Wong as Wong, Elizabeth Olsen as Scarlet Witch, Paul Bettany as the Vision, Chris Hemsworth as Thor, Scarlett Johansson as Black Widow, Tom Holland as Spider-Man, Tom Hiddleston as Loki, Josh Brolin as Thanos, Chadwick Boseman as Black Panther, Sebastian Stan as Winter Soldier, Anthony Mackie as Falcon, Danai Gurira as Okoye, Chris Pratt as Star-Lord, Vin Diesel as Groot, Zoe Saldana as Gamora, Pom Klementieff as Mantis, Bradley Cooper as Rocket Raccoon and Dave Bautista as Drax. And that’s just who appears in the trailer!
Just to make a short list of all the stuff we saw watching through only a couple of times:
- The Hulk Buster armor is being put to use, presumably by Tony Stark against the Big Bad of the film.
- The Big Bad turns out to be (of course) Thanos, and we see the most believable, realistic interpretation of this character that has ever been.
- We see what appears to be a romance budding between Black Widow and the android known as the Vision, and Thanos stealing the gem from this same android’s forehead to add to the Infinity Gauntlet.
- Tom Holland is back as Spider-Man, and that suit they teased at the end of Spider-Man: Homecoming? He’s in it and swinging in this movie.
- Doctor Strange is making himself very useful, and is in a lot of these shots. Thor appears missing an eye (or at least has been badly injured. He’s an Asgardian, so this would have taken a lot (and for all we know if it’s not voluntarily given, as in Odin’s case, it might grow back).
- Good guys and bad guys alike team up to take on the ultimate threat to the universe. The Winter Soldier is back, and fighting with them.
- And at the end? It’s the Guardians of the Galaxy, with Peter Quill, one of the few beings in the universe who can hold an Infinity Stone and live.
The mega movie also stars Karen Gillan as Nebula, Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye, Jon Favreau as Happy Hogan, Benicio Del Toro as the Collector, Paul Rudd as Ant-Man, Don Cheadle as War Machine and Evangeline Lilly as Wasp.
This blockbuster is the culmination of all 18 preceding Marvel Studios films. It will be interesting how they can juggle so many fan favorite characters at once and live up to the years of hype and expectations — not only that, but how the story will make sense to general audience members who haven’t seen every movie so far (shocking, I know).
Avengers: Infinity War began production this year on January 23, is directed by Anthony and Joe Russo, and invades movie theaters May 4, 2018.
Nick Corbin is a filmmaker and writer who hails from Boise, Idaho. When he isn’t busy acting, or writing a screenplay for his own production company, Nick can be found consuming any geek media he can get his hands on. To start a conversation, ask him about the latest cosplay he is working on.