Five young mutants, just discovering their abilities while held in a secret facility against their will, fight to escape their past sins and save themselves.
Coming to theaters in 2018, is The New Mutants, based on the Marvel comic created by Chris Claremont and Bob McLeod, and featuring a team of teenage mutants who, unlike the X-Men, are still in training learning to control their powers. After the success of Deadpool and Logan, 20th Century Fox is looking to take some risks by taking the New Mutants and putting them in a horror movie setting.
From the looks of the trailer, the teens are in a facility that, as is the case of similar facilities in horror films, is out to harm them, rather than help them. Expect chills and a lot of moments where you’ll be jumping out of your seat. While it is unknown how it will tie into the X-Men universe, the concept behind the film is very interesting, in addition to being different.
Although the characters may not be very familiar to the average movie watcher, fans of the comics are probably looking forward to seeing them on the big screen. They include:
- Rahne Sinclair/Wolfsbane, played by Masie Williams (A Game Of Thrones). Rahne’s mutant ability is to transform into a wolf, or into a transitional state, between human and wolf, resembling a werewolf.
- Ilyana Rasputin/Magik, played by Anya Taylor-Joy (Split). In the comics, Ilyana had the ability to teleport herself and her teammates through time and space, as well as practicing sorcery. Ilyana is also the younger sister of Peter Rasputin, aka Colossus.
- Sam Guthrie/Cannonball, played by Charlie Heston (Stranger Things). Sam possesses the ability to generate thermal-chemical energy and release it from his skin. This ability helps him fly at super speed. He also uses the ability to protect his body from harm.
- Danielle “Dani” Moonstar/Mirage, played by Blu Hunt (The Originals). Dani’s mutant power is creating illusions of her opponents fears or wishes.
- Roberto da Costa/Sunspot, played by Henry Zaga (13 Reasons Why). Roberto has the ability to absorb and channel solar power.
Also featured is Dr. Cecilia Reyes, played by Alice Braga (I Am Legend). In the comics, Cecilia was an ally of the X-Men, who has the mutant ability to generate a force field around herself and those nearby. It is not known how she is being portrayed in the film, whether it’s as an enemy or friend.
The film is directed by Josh Boone (The Fault In Our Stars), who had promised to deliver something different with this film. From the looks of the trailer, he’s delivering what he promised.
The New Mutants is one of three X-Men films being released next year, along with Deadpool 2 and X-Men: The Dark Phoenix Saga. While those two films are getting a lot of hype, it’s possible The New Mutants may be the X-Men film that we’ll be talking about next year. Be ready to see the film on April 13, 2018. Yes. Friday The 13th.
Gary DaBaum, SCIFI.radio DJ, writer, and all around nice guy, can be heard on SCIFI.radio. He’s also on Twitter: @GaryDaBaum.