The winners of the 2022 Hugo Awards, the Lodestar Award for Best Young Adult Book, and the Astounding Award for Best New Writer were announced on Sunday, September 4 at Chicon 8. (Detailed statistics for the nominating and final ballots are available in this PDF.)
The winners are:
- A Desolation Called Peace, by Arkady Martine (Tor)
- A Psalm for the Wild-Built, by Becky Chambers (Tordotcom)
- “Bots of the Lost Ark”, by Suzanne Palmer (Clarkesworld, Jun 2021)
BEST SHORT STORY
- “Where Oaken Hearts Do Gather”, by Sarah Pinsker (Uncanny Magazine, Mar/Apr 2021)
- Wayward Children, by Seanan McGuire (Tordotcom)
BEST GRAPHIC STORY OR COMIC
- Far Sector, written by N.K. Jemisin, art by Jamal Campbell (DC)
BEST RELATED WORK
- Never Say You Can’t Survive, by Charlie Jane Anders (Tordotcom)
BEST DRAMATIC PRESENTATION, LONG FORM
- Dune, screenplay by Jon Spaihts, Denis Villeneuve, and Eric Roth; directed by Denis Villeneuve; based on the novel Dune by Frank Herbert (Warner Bros / Legendary Entertainment)
BEST DRAMATIC PRESENTATION, SHORT FORM
- The Expanse: Nemesis Games, written by Daniel Abraham, Ty Franck, and Naren Shankar; directed by Breck Eisner (Amazon Studios)
- Neil Clarke
BEST EDITOR, LONG FORM
- Ruoxi Chen
BEST PROFESSIONAL ARTIST
- Rovina Cai
- Uncanny Magazine, publishers and editors-in-chief Lynne M. Thomas and Michael Damian Thomas; managing/poetry editor Chimedum Ohaegbu; nonfiction editor Elsa Sjunneson; podcast producers Erika Ensign & Steven Schapansky
- Small Gods, Lee Moyer (Icon) and Seanan McGuire (Story)
- Our Opinions Are Correct, presented by Annalee Newitz and Charlie Jane Anders, produced by Veronica Simonetti
BEST FAN WRITER
- Cora Buhlert
BEST FAN ARTIST
LODESTAR AWARD FOR BEST YOUNG ADULT BOOK
- The Last Graduate, by Naomi Novik (Del Rey Books)
ASTOUNDING AWARD FOR BEST NEW WRITER
- Shelley Parker-Chan
VOTING STATISTICS. There were 2235 valid final ballots (2230 electronic and 5 paper) received and counted from the members of Chicon 8. More information about the 2022 Hugo Awards, including detailed voting statistics is available on the Chicon website here.
ABOUT THE HUGO AWARDS. The Hugo Awards are the premier award in the science fiction genre, honoring science fiction literature and media as well as the genre’s fans. The Hugo Awards were first presented at the 1953 World Science Fiction Convention in Philadelphia (Philcon II), and they have continued to honor science fiction and fantasy notables for nearly 70 years.
The physical Hugo Award consists of a rocket mounted on a base that is designed specifically for that year’s awards. The base for the 2022 Hugo Award trophy was designed and created by Brian Keith Ellison, while the 2022 Lodestar Award was designed and created by Sara Felix. More information on this year’s designs can be found here.
A full list of past finalists and winners can be found on the official Hugo Awards website here.
SCIFI.radio is listener supported sci-fi geek culture radio, and operates almost exclusively via the generous contributions of our fans via our Patreon campaign. If you like, you can also use our tip jar and send us a little something to help support the many fine creatives that make this station possible.