The Razzies acknowledge the fact that where there are shining examples of cinema each year, there are also those films that shine only because they’re still moist.
While space was jammed in 2021 with the likes of Bezos, Elon and a telescope exploring escape routes, we simple Earthlings who did not “Look Up” remained glued to the Razzie crap streaming, beaming and steaming from our various screens and devices. It wasn’t all mainstream stuff either. In fact, genre films took more than their share of nominations.
Here’s a look at what they saw … the excruciating musicals, thrill-free thriller rip-offs, a nearly 2 hour product placement flick, and more Bruce Willis than any starving viewer could stomach. In other words, 2021 did not fail the Razzies!
As the ugly cousin to the Oscars, the Razzies duly follow in the footsteps of their more prestigious and dull counterpart’s rules and regulations. So, with the Academy guidelines allowing non-traditional releases to compete, so did the Razzies.
This year’s Worst Picture nominees include:
- The NetFLIX version of Broadway’s biggest bomb of the year, Diana the Musical (the stage version of which didn’t even last 40 performances)
- That multi-bajillion-dollar, straight-to-streaming time travel turkey Infinite: The hopelessly on-the-nose / can’t-we-all-just-get-along melodrama Karen (whose title character makes Cruella seem like a nice neighbor)
- That 115 minute Time/Warner corporate sales reel posing as a family film, Space Jam: A New Legacy
- And a lifeless, pointless “re-imagining” of a seminal Hitchcock classic, Rear Window.
Acting nominees include an otherwise great actress, Amy Adams (with nods for both Woman in the Window and Dear Evan Hansen); LeBron James, who most likely dunked his chances for basking in the cinema limelight by starring in Space Jam 2; and a Razzie Regular whose appearance in no less than EIGHT titles in 2021 bagged him a category all to himself (Worst Performance by Bruce Willis in a 2021 Movie).
You really have to sink one to qualify for your own category. It’s noteworthy that despite his choices of vehiclesBruce Willis is working a lot. He’s been in the Die Hard series, Looper, two Sin City movies, The Sixth Sense, The Fifth Element, Surrogates, 12 Monkeys and a pile of other genre films, but at this point he’s 66 year old, so he hasn’t got a lot of leading man years left in him. Maybe he’s doing them for fun. Maybe he’s packing them in while he can still get leading man roles, who knows? But it’s not a great look for him at the moment.
A complete list of nominations is included below and is also available online at Razzies.com. Here’s the Official Nominations Video.
Voting Razzie Members (1,128 from 49 US States and over two dozen foreign countries) cast their 2021 ballots online, selecting five top contenders in each of nine categories. This year’s “Winners” will be unveiled on the now traditional date of “Oscar Eve,” Saturday, March 26th.
42nd Annual RAZZIE® Award Nominations:
- Diana the Musical (The Netflix Version)
- Space Jam: A New Legacy
- The Woman in the Window
- Scott Eastwood / Dangerous
- Roe Hartrampf (As Prince Charles) Diana the Musical
- LeBron James / Space Jam: A New Legacy
- Ben Platt / Dear Evan Hansen
- Mark Wahlberg / Infinite
- Amy Adams / The Woman in the Window
- Jeanna de Waal / Diana the Musical
- Megan Fox / Midnight in the Switchgrass
- Taryn Manning / Karen
- Ruby Rose / Vanquish
WORST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
- Amy Adams / Dear Evan Hansen
- Sophie Cookson / Infinite
- Erin Davie (As Camilla) Diana the Musical
- Judy Kaye (As BOTH Queen Elizabeth & Barbara Cartland) Diana the Musical
- Taryn Manning / Every Last One of Them
WORST SUPPORTING ACTOR
- Ben Affleck / The Last Duel
- Nick Cannon / The Misfits
- Mel Gibson / Dangerous
- Gareth Keegan (As James Hewitt, the Muscle-Bound Horse Trainer) / Diana the Musical
- Jared Leto / House of Gucci
WORST PERFORMANCE by BRUCE WILLIS in a 2021 MOVIE
- Bruce Willis / American Siege
- Bruce Willis / Apex
- Bruce Willis / Cosmic Sin
- Bruce Willis / Deadlock
- Bruce Willis / Fortress
- Bruce Willis / Midnight in the Switchgrass
- Bruce Willis / Out of Death
- Bruce Willis / Survive the Game
WORST SCREEN COUPLE
Any Klutzy Cast Member & Any Lamely Lyricized (or Choreographed)
- Musical Number / Diana the Musical
- LeBron James & Any Warner Cartoon Character (or Time-Warner Product) He
- Dribbles on / Space Jam: A New Legacy
- Jared Leto & EITHER His 17-Pound Latex Face, His Geeky Clothes or
- His Ridiculous Accent / House of Gucci
- Ben Platt & Any Other Character Who Acts Like Platt
- Singing 24-7 is Normal / Dear Evan Hansen
- Tom & Jerry (aka Itchy & Scratchy) Tom & Jerry the Movie
WORST REMAKE, RIP-OFF or SEQUEL
- Karen (Inadvertent Remake of Cruella deVil)
- Space Jam: A New Legacy
- Tom & Jerry the Movie
- Twist (Rap remake of Oliver Twist)
- The Woman in the Window (Rip-Off of Rear Window)
- Christopher Ashley / Diana the Musical
- Stephen Chbosky / Dear Evan Hansen
- “Coke” Daniels / Karen
- Renny Harlin / The Misfits
- Joe Wright / The Woman in the Window
- Diana the Musical / Script by Joe DiPietro, Music and Lyrics by DiPietro and David Bryan
- Karen / Written by “Coke” Daniels
- The Misfits / Screenplay by Kurt Wimmer and Robert Henny, Screen Story by Henny
- Twist / Written by John Wrathall & Sally Collett, Additional Material by Matthew Parkhill, Michael Lindley, Tom Grass & Kevin Lehane, from an “Original Idea” by David & Keith Lynch and Simon Thomas
- The Woman in the Window / Screenplay by Tracy Letts, from the Novel by A.J. Finn
NOMINATIONS per PICTURE
- Diana the Musical (9 Nominations, including Worst Picture, Actor & Actress)
- Karen (5 Nominations, including Picture, Actress, Screenplay & Director)
- The Woman in the Window (5 Nominations, including Picture, Actress & Remake/Rip-Off)
- Space Jam: A New Legacy (4 Nominations, including Picture, Actor & Screen Couple)
- Infinite (3 Nominations, including Worst Picture, Actor & Supporting Actress)
- The Misfits (3 Nominations, including Supporting Actor, Director & Screenplay)
SCIFI.radio is listener supported sci-fi geek culture radio, and operates almost exclusively via the generous contributions of our fans via our Patreon campaign. If you like, you can also use our tip jar and send us a little something to help support the many fine creatives that make this station possible.