Perennial fan favorite Yogi Bear is returning to TV screens across the nation on Thursday, June 29, 2021. After an absence of three decades, Yogi Bear, his sidekick Boo Boo, and his ladyfriend, Cindy Bear, willl be starring in Jellystone!, a new animated series on HBOMax. Many other old favorites from Hanna-Barbera’s glory days will be co-starring alonside everyone’s favorite picnic basket thief.
Yogi will be a bit more anthropomorphic than he was in the old days. Instead of foiling the ranger and swiping tourists’ picnic baskets, Yogi will now have a job.
“Set in the charming town of the same name, Jellystone! follows an ensemble of Hanna-Barbera characters as they live, work, play, and (as is often the case), destroy the town in some silly way together. Huckleberry Hound proudly serves as the town’s mayor; Cindy, Boo Boo, and Yogi are the town’s medical staff; Jabberjaw works at Magilla’s clothing store where they supply all the bow ties and hats to the town’s citizens; and every character has a specific role in the community. Their paths cross in fun and ridiculous ways, turning everyday activities into hilarious pandemonium.”
Official Trailer – Take a Peek
And here it is, in all its toonish mayhem: the official HBO Max trailer. I don’t think there’s a single Hanna Barbera character missing from the lineup.
Noted animation writer/producer/director C. H. Greenblatt (Chowder, Fish Hooks, Harvey Beaks, Deadman) will be showrunner and executive producer of Jellystone! He will also be providing the voices for Doggie Daddy, Boo Boo, Peter Potamus, and Benny.
An International All Star Cast
- Jeff Bergman, who has voiced both Bugs Bunny and George Jetson for the past twenty years, will be Yogi, Mr. Jinks, Wally Gator, and Lippy the Lion.
- Jim Conroy (FETCH! with Ruff Ruffman, Kenny the Shark) will provide the voices for Huckleberry Hound, Captain Caveman, and Pa Rugg, and more.
- Georgie Kidder (Bear in Goldie and Bear, Haiku in The Loud House, Keroppi in Hello Kitty and Friends, Ganodi in Star Wars: The Clone Wars) will be the voice of Auggie Doggie, Brain, and Floral Rugg.
- Grace Helbig, (Electra Woman & DynaGirl, Trolls) will be the voice of Cindy Bear, Yappy, Taffy, and Granny Sweet.
- Writer/actress Niccole Thurman (Kenan, Superstore) will be the voice of Jabberjaw, Squiddly Diddly, and Dee Dee Sykes.
- Thomas Lennon (Mxyzptlk in Supergirl) will bring Top Cat to life.
- Ron Funches (Trolls, Black-ish) will portray Shagg Rugg.
- Bernardo de Paula (José Carioca in DuckTales, Lt. O’Brien in the video game Days Gone) will be El Kabong and Mildew Wolf.
- Where there is Quick Draw McGraw, there must be Baba Looey. Jenny Lorenzo (Victor & Valentino, Geekgasm) will be the voice of Bobbie Looey, Hardy Har Har, and Choo Choo.
- Dana Snyder (Master Shake in Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Vultureman in ThunderCats Roar) will voice Snagglepuss, Touché Turtle, and Lambsy.
- Katie Grober (Olive in Love Life) will portray Yakky Doodle. Paul F. Tompkins (Gladstone Gander in DuckTales) will voice Magilla Gorilla, who is now running a haberdashery instead of trying to escape from a pet store.
- Fajer al-Kaisi (Nihar Nadeem in Daredevil, Bin Laden in Future Man) voices both the genie Shazzan and Hadji, Jonny Quest’s foster brother,
- Toymaker turned actor Andrew Frankel (Transformers, Babylon 5: Thirdspace) will voice Jonny Quest and Fancy Fancy.
- Lesley Nicol, (Mrs. Beaver in The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, Mrs. Patmore in Downton Abbey voices Winsome Witch.
- Ulka Simone Mohanty (Mother Teresa in Pixar’s Soul, Vaidehi in Treasured) is the voice of Loopy De Loop.
It’s absolutely an all-star international cast. C. H. Greenblatt worked with Warner Brothers Animation Studio to bring Yogi Bear and his friends to HBOMax.
Are you looking forward to Jellystone! ? Or is it too different from how Yogi Bear used to be for your taste? It debuts on June 29, 2021. Will you be watching?
SCIFI.radio is listener supported sci-fi geek culture radio, and operates almost exclusively via the generous contributions of our fans via our Patreon campaign. If you like, you can also use our tip jar and send us a little something to help support the many fine creatives that make this station possible.