Since 1994, Gina Torres has been one of the most respected actresses in the science fiction entertainment genre. She was born April 25, 1969, making today her 51st birthday. She’s done a little of everything, from voicing cartoon superheroines and villainesses, to sailing on starships, to fighting robots and mutants. She’s been everything from queens of ancient civilizations, to demons – and once, even a lawyer.
Torres is perhaps best known to the geeking world as Zoe Washburne on Firefly and in Serenity, but her other sci-fi and fantasy roles have included a role in the pilot of M.A.N.T.I.S., where she played pathologist Dr. Amy Ellis (this character was dropped from the TV show), a guest spot on Xena, Warrior Princess as Queen Cleopatra of Egypt, a recurring role on The Legendary Journeys of Hercules as Princess Nebula of Sumeria, half-sister of the demi-god Gilgamesh. She also co-starred on the short-lived Cleopatra 2525 as Helen “Hel” Carter.
Gina Torres also appeared in the second and third movies of The Matrix franchise as Cas, has had a recurring role on Angel as Jasmine, and even had a guest role in the quirky Archie Comics reboot Riverdale as Mrs. Burble.
Gina Torres does a lot of voicework for cartoons and videogames. Her voice roles include:
- Ketsu Onyo in Star Wars Rebels
- Ikora Rey in Level Up Norge and Destiny
- Vixen in Justice League Unlimited
- Superwoman in Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths
- Ebony Brown in The Boondocks
- Airachnid in Transformers Prime
- Queen of Ingvarr in Tangled: the Series
- Chatana in Elena of Avalor
- Wonder Woman in DC Universe Online
- 12 Age Dragon in Lichdom: Battlemage
- Infinity Guard Announcer & Helper Hula in Final Space
- Capcom at Walt Disney World’s Mission: Space
Gina Torres is currently an independent woman. She was married to actor Laurence Fishburne (Perry White in Man of Steel), from 2002 to 2018. They have one daughter together, Delilah.
Her current project is a vampire soap opera, The Brides, which is currently in pre-production. She will play Cleo Phillips.
Happy Birthday, Gina Torres! Here’s wishing you many more years of great roles of strong, intelligent women like Zoe.