On January 23rd, production began on the highly anticipated Avengers: Infinity War, part one of a two part epic adventure. This has been the film we’ve been waiting for since Thanos made his first appearance in the first Avengers film.
The film features just about everyone in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The Avengers, The Guardians Of The Galaxy, Black Panther, Doctor Strange, Spider-Man, all coming together to face Thanos as he attempts to get the Infinity Stones.
If you need a brief recap, these are the Infinity Stones:
- The Space Stone: This is the blue one. It’s featured at the end credit sequence in Thor, and featured in Captain America: The First Avenger, where it was used to power Hydra’s weapons, and The Avengers, where it was shown to open wormholes.
- The Mind Stone: In The Avengers, Loki’s scepter contained the Mind Stone, which he used to control people. In Avengers: Age Of Ultron, it was used in the creation of The Vision. It’s yellow, and currently resides in The Vision’s forehead (and probably can’t be removed without killing him).
- The Reality Stone: Featured in Thor: The Dark World, Malekith the Accursed, ruler of the Dark Elves, had formed it into the liquid known as The Aether, and was said that it had the power to return the universe back to the pre-Big Bang state. It’s red.
- The Power Stone: Featured in The Guardians Of The Galaxy, has the power to destroy entire civilizations. It’s purple.
- The Time Zone: Featured in Doctor Strange, it’s encased in the Eye of Agamotto and frequently hangs around Doctor Strange’s neck. The Master of the Mystic Arts can use the stone to alter time. It’s green.
- Finally, there’s the orange Soul Stone, which is said to be featured in an upcoming Phase III movie.
Even though going up against Thanos is a challenging task, one huge hurdle to jump before facing him is getting the Avengers together. In Captain America: Civil War, the film ended with The Avengers pretty much ending as a team, with some escaping from prison, although Steve did send Tony a message letting him know that if they’re needed, they’ll be there.
Avengers: Infinity War stars a very very busy cast of characters.
From the The Avengers
Robert Downy Jr. as Tony Stark/Iron Man, Chris Evans as Steve Rogers/Captain America, Chris Hemsworth as Thor, Jeremy Renner as Cliff Barton/Hawkeye, Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner/The Hulk, Elizabeth Olsen as Wanda Maximoff/Scarlet Witch, Scarlett Johansson as Natasha Rominoff/Black Widow, Paul Rudd as Scott Lang/Antman, Sebastian Stan as Bucky Barnes/The Winter Soldier, Chadwick Boseman as T’Challa/Black Panther, Benedict Cumberbatch as Doctor Steven Strange, Paul Bettany as The Vision, Tom Holland as Peter Parker/Spider-Man, Anthony Mackie as Sam Wilson/The Falcon.
From The Guardians Of The Galaxy
Chris Pratt as Peter Quill/Star Lord, Zoe Saldana as Gamora, Dave Bautista as Drax the Destroyer, Bradley Cooper as Rocket, Vin Diesel as Groot, Karen Gillan as Nebula, Pom Klementieff as Mantis.
Josh Brolin will be reprising the role of Thanos.
Last year, The Russo Brothers had also announced that Samuel L. Jackson would return as Nick Fury and Brie Larson will be in the film as Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel, but we’re playing the wait and see game, both on whether make it into this film and on what Peter Dinklage’s role in the film will be (we think it’s Pip the Troll).
The film is directed by Anthony and Joe Russo and hits the theaters May 4, 2018, with the sequel releasing on May 3, 2019. We’re going to need a bigger tub of popcorn.
Gary DaBaum, SCIFI.radio DJ, writer, and all around nice guy, can be heard on SCIFI.radio. He’s also on Twitter: @GaryDaBaum.